Manchester Climate Change Framework 2020-25
The Manchester Climate Change Framework 2020-25 is the city's high-level strategy for tackling climate change. It sets out how Manchester will 'play its full part in limiting the impacts of climate change', a commitment in the Our Manchester Strategy 2016-25. It has been produced by the Manchester Climate Change Partnership and Agency and sets out:
Manchester will play its full part in limiting the impacts of climate change and create a healthy, green, socially just city where everyone can thrive.
Our objectives and targets:
- Staying within our carbon budgets - based on recommendations by the Tyndall Centre for Climate Change Research in 2020 (this is Appendix 1 of the Framework)
- Climate adaptation and resilience
- Health and wellbeing
- Inclusive, zero carbon and climate resilient economy
Seven areas for action to meet our objectives and targets:
- Buildings (existing and new)
- Renewable energy
- Transport and flying
- The things we buy and throw away
- Green infrastructure and nature-based solutions
- Supporting and enabling residents and organisations to act
Why a framework?
Manchester has adopted a different approach to most other cities. We don’t have a single plan setting out how we will meet our climate change targets. Our approach is based on every resident and every organisation in the city making and delivering their own commitments and action plans. The Framework provides our overarching structure for everyone in the city to 'plug in' their plans. To help people and organisations we've developed a list of 15 actions we need everyone to take.
Manchester Climate Change Partnership
The Manchester Climate Change Partnership is the city’s main mechanism for engaging and inspiring organisations and residents to act. The Partnership currently has 60 members, across 10 sectors, with responsibility for over 20% of Manchester’s direct CO2 emissions. Its members also have reach into the remaining 80% through their staff, students, customers, tenants, football fans, theatre-goers, worshippers, and others. By working with their supply chains members are also helping to reduce the city’s consumption-based CO2 emissions.
A summary of Partnership members' action plans for 2020-25 is Appendix 2 of the Framework.
To make this apprach work, we've established a devolved, partnership-based approach to meet our climate change commitments. It is built on two key components:
- Engaging and empowering Manchester residents and organisations to take action, using the Manchester Climate Change Partnership and its networks as our key engagement mechanism, and
- Joint working between Manchester City Council, Manchester’s strategic partners, Greater Manchester Combined Authority, UK Government, and their agencies to provide the support, incentives, standards and infrastructure residents and organisations need (each with their own bespoke plans)
Keeping our Targets and Framework up to Date
Version 1.0 of the Framework was published in February 2020. We can expect it will need to be updated over the next five years, in response to a range of factors. We'll do that informed by the recommendations of the independent advisory groups we will be setting up in 2020, major reports on the climate science, changes in policy, and other key inputs.
Get in Touch
The Framework was developed during 2019-20 and published in February 2020. The process included progress reports and endorsements at a number of Manchester City Council public meetings:
- 15th February 2019 - Draft Manchester Zero Carbon Framework 2020-38 published by Manchester Climate Change Partnership and Agency
- 6th March 2019 - Draft Manchester Zero Carbon Framework 2020-38 discussed by Manchester City Council Neighbourhoods and Environment Scrutiny Committee
- 13th March 2019 - Draft Manchester Zero Carbon Framework 2020-38 endorsed by Manchester City Council Executive Committee
- 23rd January 2020 - progress report to Manchester City Council Climate Change Sub-group
- 5th February 2020 - progress report to Manchester City Council Neighbourhoods and Environment Scrutiny Committee
- 12th February 2020 - progress report to Manchester City Council Executive Committee
- 28th February 2020 - Manchester Climate Change Framework 2020-25 (Version 1.0) published by Manchester Climate Change Partnership and Agency; letter from Manchester Climate Change Partnership to Manchester City Council inviting the Council to endorse the Framework
- 4th March 2020 - Manchester Climate Change Framework 2020-25 (Version 1.0) discussed by Manchester City Council Neighbourhoods and Environment Scrutiny Committee
- 11th March 2020 - Manchester Climate Change Framework 2020-25 (Version 1.0) formally endorsed by Manchester City Council Executive Committee
- 25th March 2020 - Manchester Climate Change Framework 2020-25 (Version 1.0) formally endorsed by Manchester City Council Full Council (scheduled)